Copper Country Walleye Association (CCWA)
The copper country walleye association was established to organize volunteer efforts by a group of walleye anglers, business owners, community members and sportsmen.
Working to conserve, protect and restore a vibrant and sustainable walleye sport fishery in the greater copper country area of Michigan.
2013 Year In Review
- Assisted Michigan DNR with release of walleye fry and fingerlings into the Portage and Torch Systems. This was the third year of stocking facilitated by CCWA volunteer effort and membership advocacy. 1.5 million fry and over 50,000 fingerlings were planted in 2013.
- Assisted Chassell VFW Post with their 6th annual youth and adult tournaments. Helped with organization, clean up, and weigh-in support to assist with allowing for timely live release of fish caught in the tournament.
- Organized and ran 2nd annual Angler Young Angler Tournament with 19 teams including 28 youth anglers from 4 states. The winning team from the local tournament took home a Lund 12 foot boat motor and trailer package and went on to represent the Copper Country at the International Championship in Kenora Ontario.
- Placed signs at area launches encouraging anglers to release large fish and to manage their bag limits in the interest of preserving the long-term health of the fishery.
- Assisted Michigan DNR with maintenance activities on the Boston Pond Dam. Supporting the DNR fisheries division with volunteer labor on projects like this allows them to spend their time doing other things that more directly improve local fisheries and angling opportunities.
- Hosted meetings with representatives of the U.S. Coast Guard, Michigan DNR commercial fisheries enforcement division, and Sea Grant on topics of interest to regional anglers.
- Organized a boat inspection day by the Coast Guard Auxiliary to provided safety inspections stickers which can be presented when requested to board for inspection while on the lake.
Your membership in CCWA allows us to have a voice from the region when working with the DNR and other organizations for improvement of the walleye fishery and related interests around the Copper Country. For information about signing up go to www.ccwalleye.com or email email@example.com
Copper Country Walleye Association
Board Members and Terms
As of Calendar Year 2014
|Board Member||Term Ends|
|Ross Rinkinen, President||December 2016|
|J.R. Baker, Interim Secretary||December 2016|
|Gerry Lucier, Vice President
|Brad Beaudette||December 2014|
|Ron Wiitanen||December 2014|
|Brent Leonard||December 2014|
|Ron Racine Sr.||December 2015|
|Ron Racine Jr.||December 2015|
|Mark Butke||December 2015|
|Dan Dube||December 2015|
Current Projects Volunteer and Help by request of the MI DNR in spring walleye plant in Portage Lake.