Copper Country Walleye Association (CCWA)
The copper country walleye association was established to organize volunteer efforts by a group of walleye anglers, business owners, community members and sportsmen.
Working to conserve, protect and restore a vibrant and sustainable walleye sport fishery in the greater copper country area of Michigan.
The Copper Country Walleye Association would like to thank you for your past membership and ask you to consider renewing your membership for the 2015 calendar year. Your membership in CCWA allows us to have a voice from the region when working with the DNR and other organizations for improvement of the walleye fishery and related interests around the Copper Country. Below is a brief summary of CCWA’s activities from 2014 and plans for 2015. Enclosed is a membership form for your convenience. Alternatively, information about signing can be obtained from www.ccwalleye.com or by email email@example.com
CCWA 2014 Year-In-Review
Assisted Michigan DNR with release of walleye fry and fingerlings into the Portage and Torch Systems. This was the fourth year of stocking facilitated by CCWA volunteer effort and membership advocacy. 20 volunteers helped distribute fry throughout the Portage and Torch Systems and to retrieve fingerlings from rearing ponds to be stocked in copper country waters. This volunteer support is essential to helping the Fisheries Division stock our waters.
See www.michigandnr.com/fishstock/ for all DNR stocking information. 2015 walleye stocking totals are summarized below. CCWA volunteers helped directly with stocking of fry in Portage and Torch Lakes and with processing of fingerlings which were stocked in a number of regional waters including:
- Portage and Torch Lakes: 1.1 million fry and 110,704 fingerlings
- Prickett Dam Backwater: 10,750 fingerlings
- Lac La Belle: 27,636 fingerlings
- Lake Fanny Hooe: 2,102 fingerlings
Assisted Chassell VFW Post with their 7th annual youth and adult tournaments. Helped with organization, clean up, and weigh-in support to assist with allowing for timely live release of fish caught in the tournament.
Organized and ran 3nd annual Angler Young Angler Tournament with 15 teams including 26 youth anglers from 4 states. The winning team from the local tournament took home a Lund 12 foot boat motor and trailer package and went on to represent the Copper Country at the International Championship in Kenora Ontario.
CCWA 2015 Plans
Some dates and topics are tentative. Announcements will be posted to CCWA’s Facebook account and sent out by email to all members with email addresses on file.
- February 28th, 2015 Chassell VFW Ice Fishing Tournament
- July 25th, Angler and Young Angler Fishing Tournament
- October fall member tournament and cookout (tentatively set for October 3rd)
- Spring fry plant (watch email and facebook for dates)
- Summer fingerling collection (watch email and facebook for dates)
- Spring Boston Pond dam maintenance (watch email and facebook for dates)
- May 5th (tentative) 7:00 US Coast Guard (tent. location CIBC)
- Late May or Early June (tentative), US Coast Guard Auxiliary Boat Inspection
- September 8th (tentative) 7:00 Potential topics include: MI DNR Commercial Fisheries Enforcement, MI DNR Fisheries Division, Michigan Sea Grant, (tent. location Monte Carlo)
Copper Country Walleye Association
Board Members and Terms
As of Calendar Year 2014
|Board Member||Term Ends|
|Ross Rinkinen, President||December 2016|
|J.R. Baker, Interim Secretary||December 2016|
|Gerry Lucier, Vice PresidentScott Dewar||December 2016December 2016|
|Brad Beaudette||December 2014|
|Ron Wiitanen||December 2014|
|Brent Leonard||December 2014|
|Ron Racine Sr.||December 2015|
|Ron Racine Jr.||December 2015|
|Mark Butke||December 2015|
|Dan Dube||December 2015|
Current Projects Volunteer and Help by request of the MI DNR in spring walleye plant in Portage Lake.